In order to understand how PV can be implemented into buildings, one should understand the mechanism behind this technology. Not only at the level of a solar cell, but also at system level. Further on, the basics behind how sunlight reaches a building brings an understanding of the expected yield of your system and how to optimize this yield.
This module mainly consists of open online courseware. The study material in this module varies from broad understanding to very specific science.
After successfully completing the module on PHOTOVOLTAICS, the student:
- Knows how photovoltaic conversion physically takes place within solar cells
- Has insight into different PV technologies used for different BIPV-applications
- Knows how to analyze the performance of solar cells and modules
- Makes well informed decisions on what PV technology to use for different applications
- Is able to design a complete PV system for any application
- Understands how the position of the sun and solar irradiance has an effect on PV module performance